Typewriter Keys


Originally an exercise in strip piecing, I’m turning it into a zippered bag. Making up the process as I go along. I’m sure that it would have been easier to quilt the sides before putting it all together but it wouldn’t be me if I didn’t make it fussy!

But Does It Look Like A Pierogy?

pierogytest2 pierogytest1

Just another test run for an upcoming project. I think I’ve got to go for a little more contrast between the pale ecru and the beige of the pierogy, it’s not quite right yet. The sunset fabric will work for the bacon but I’m going to have to be really fussy about placement because the big piece in the front still looks raw!

Playing With Technique


Step 1, I guess. I was messing about with random foundation piecing and scraps of fabric left over from other projects. I’ll do the quilting tomorrow and see if I want to play with more embellishment. There are a few floating bars in there that I want to emphasize. They were a surprise that sprung from sewing a layer on backwards. I wish I could say that it only happened once!

The Marathon Continues

20140103-213121.jpgThe movement is becoming more natural but my speed has only picked up marginally. Keep at it, I guess! I’m pretty sure there’s no hope of finishing it for the March 1 deadline but I’m going to keep working at it… I’m easily 10K stitches behind on my lifetime total!

Testing and Auditions

flower3 copy

I don’t think the yellow will work for gerbera daisies but it makes for one hell of a black eyed Susan! The bottom fabric is reading as a dark grey but it’s actually the leading contender as a dark mottled blue. This will end up as a postcard eventually and the search for the right daisy yellow continues.

Training For My Own Kind of Marathon


Shaky little stitches , tentative and uneven. I’m almost reconsidering my quest to undo the bad habits that two decades of self-taught hand-sewing have left me with. Over the span of a small work they aren’t noticeable but, as the size of my pieces grow, the problem continues to compound, adding unnecessary hours.

I learned from photos and diagrams the first time around; this time I headed to youtube, watching clip after clip until one showed me from the right angle and it was clear enough to try. A respectable 10 SPI but each of those inches took 5 minutes.  The stitches above are the first on a piece that will measure 36″x60″ and will be completely covered with running stitch.

By my estimation, I’ve got 2, 154 square inches left to cover… the first 6″ are the hardest, right? If I just concentrate on my form and my breathing, I’ll make it to the end.

Broderie Perse

I’ve been stalling on this one, I must confess. It was not a completely new technique, I’ve appliqued before, I’ve collaged before. I envisioned natural browns and reds against the orange, falling maple leafs. I hated it.

Bipartite leaves later, complementary colours switched and I love it.

Playing Koi

Sometimes even I can’t resist the pun, sorry. Before I die, I want to build a koi pond and fill it with little slips and flashes of light like this. I’ll float lotus flowers on the water and paper lanterns with candles and I’ll put my fingers in the water and let the fish nibble on them.

This is a work in progress and the fish are jumping.